Wednesday 10 August 2011

Something for Sherrie

I painted this piece for my French friend, Sherrie ;)

This time, I had the camera out - I was taking pix of my dogs - so, I have a few pictures of the stages of my work:

The background, in blue, with a bit of burgundy at the edges. Nope,
I cannot just have a plain blue anything. Btw, there were
some holes, so I covered them up with a bit of tissue,
to look like a bit of moulding (like that found on doors, etc.)

My sketch of what I want to paint, done in white.

Then, I painted the flowers in with white, so that the colours would look
stronger on the blue of the background.

A pix of the finished piece. The moulding looks kinda nuts to me. And
I sure could use some more practice with my sunflowers.
(Taken with a flash.)

Sunflowers, daisies, and blue rose-buds.
Taken without a flash, in natural light.
This is an earring holder. You stick your earring-studs into them, and they are all there, arranged in front of you, so you don't need to sort through them every time you want a pair! Because it is so light, it can be mounted with double-sided tape. Mine is, and it's staying up just fine :)

It is made from an old piece of polystyrene (styrofoam), which is quite hard to come by these days, because of the use of a kind of papier-mache cardboardy thingy that is now in use. More eco-friendly, and biodegradable, too.

So my days of painting on styofoam are numbered! I'm not complaining, though. It EATS paint!!! :(

2 comments:

  1. Wow,Pat ,this look amazing.I like everything and how you made!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Tatjana :)

    You know, I am still learning, and I am often not completely happy with my work.

    But, then you leave me a lovely and encouraging comment like this - and I know that I will carry on trying to be better.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete