Sunday 16 January 2011

I bought this clock for Chuan, for Christmas, many many years ago. I thought it had a nice old look about it - like the clocks of our youth - and it's been on our shelves since then. It had a couple of tole roses painted on it, and some leaves and curly-cues.

When I started painting, I said that 'one day' I'd paint over them not-so-very-well-done roses. And yesterday was the day it happened. I had been itching to do it for a bit, and Chuan said that my roses are much prettier than the originals (that's why I married him ;), so I did it. And here's the result. I should have taken a 'before' shot, but by the time I remembered, it was too late. SO: you'll just have to take my word for it that this is an improvement.

(I added on a couple of roses on the top, for good measure. Actually, I had extra paint on the palette, and I couldn't bear chucking it! Hahahahh!)

Here it is, back in its usual place on my bookshelf. 

Here's a view that captures one of the roses on the top. 

Here's a close-up of the 'new' roses, and more dust. 

4 comments:

  1. What a juxtaposition: roses, sometimes a symbol of fleeting beauty, here made permanent by your painting, with the face of time, challenging it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahah! An interesting idea there, Louis :)

    Yes, roses are so fleeting, aren't they? I have a spray of 37 roses on a single stem in the garden right now; all in different phases of blooming: from mere buds, to peeping petals, to half-opened, to fully opened blooms, with stamens and pollen in full view, soon to have their petals fly away in the wind.

    They are so beautiful, and smell heavenly, and they remain the most mesmerising of all my flowers! And yes, wish they'd stay with me a lot longer than they do :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. That flower looks like it belongs there. What a terrific idea, Pat?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, darling Lita :)

    I have to look at it while I am slogging away on my exercise machine! So far, I haven't felt the need to 'improve' on them, yet ;)

    ReplyDelete