Wednesday 22 June 2011

From my sketch-pad

I have found that I can no longer just paint - because often, it is hit-or-miss, and sometimes it is wrong.

For instance, when I looked closely at my hydrangea bloom, I noticed it didn't have yellow centres after all. Not at all what the experts said :(

So, I now Google images and look at flowers closely. Or, I look in my garden, and look at how the flowers there just 'be'.

And, I can't simply look. So, I've taken to using my a sketch-pad.

The flowers here are either from photos, and I'm keeping them here, so that I can log on and see them whenever I need to :)















I don't usually draw onto the surface I am painting - I just paint. Sometimes, I'll sorta block in where I want the flowers, in their rough shapes. Most times, I don't. I paint them on whatever it is I am painting, just like Donna Dewberry does. (I only learned later that her 'students' bought her patterns!!! Hahahah!)

My sketches here are for me to understand the details of each flower - and most of them here, are flowers that I am still struggling with: I can't seem to paint them right.s




2 comments:

  1. I love your sketch-pad...and same as you,after I "learned" how to paint,I learned that others use patterns!So we can understand each other and laugh together :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahah! So happy to hear that there is someone else like me out there :)

    ReplyDelete